THE Festival STATUTE
39th International Festival of Sustainable Development Films - ekotopfilm 2012
I. Basic Provisions
- The 39. International Festival of Sustainable Development Films - ekotopfilm 2012 will be held in October 15 – 19, 2012 in the capital city of Bratislava, Slovak Republic. The festival venue is a complex consisting of Cinema City and others objects.
- The program structure and its content focus on all fields of economic, industrial and human activities stressing the need for sustainable development to be a continuous process. The festival program is first and foremost educational in nature.
- The main organizer of the festival is Ekotopfilm ltd. in cooperation with Agency Tristan ltd., Civic Association for SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT, non-profit org. and other partners – professional guarantors – 13 Ministries of the Slovak Government, capital city of Bratislava, town of Kosice and other NGOs. The representative of the main organizer shall be its Statutory Representative.
- Coordination body of the festival is the Festival Committee (FC). It consists of delegates representing the partners of the festival. It is headed by the President. The executive body of FC is a Professional Commission (PC), which consists of delegates representing the festival partners (regardless of their membership in FC). The PC is in charge of the preparation and maintenance of the professional level of the festival.
- The Honor Presidium represents the festival ideas, and it consists of outstanding individuals from public, economic, scientific, cultural and social life.
- The festival program consists of screenings of the accepted entries in the international Contest; the accompanying professional program (conferences, seminars, workshops); the public program (discussions on current issues) and ceremonies.
- The festival is not only professionally oriented, but is also focused on the general population with an emphasis on younger generations.
- ADMISSION FREE to all events of the festival program.
II. Participation Conditions
- The entries may be submitted by directors, producers, writers, film and TV companies, TV academies, international and national organizations, institutions and individuals.
- Only entries produced after January 1, 2010 shall be accepted for the international Contest. Entries are not allowed to be submitted to ekotopfilm 2012 if submitted in previous festival years. Participation at other festivals is not a limitation. The number of submitted entries is not limited.
- There is no entry fee for the submission of entries or personal participation.
- The applicant shall fill in the entry form online (www.ekotopfilm.com) and at the same time send it properly signed along with submitted entry/entries to the address of festival office no later than 10th August 2012 (Signed entry form may be send via fax or email-scan). Provided the film (entry) is submitted without a properly filled in and signed entry form it shall not be accepted into the international Contest. Postage and insurance are the responsibility of the applicant or sender.
- All submitted entries (copies) shall be returned to the applicant upon his/her written request.
- All film entries (copies) submitted to the international Contest shall remain within the festival archive. Selected and awarded film entries shall be screened free of charge at festival previews or other non commercial activities principally serving as education tools including mass models for social education in the field of environment and sustainable development or in non commercial TV and internet broadcasting or broadcasting mainly within the territory of the Slovak Republic. The Festival reserves the right of a free use of the films for screenings linked with the Festival, regional festival previews (ekotopfilm TOUR Slovakia), in the non-commercial channels, during at least 12 months after the Festival.
- Selected and awarded film entries shall be incorporated into the film database to be available on the festival web site www.ekotopfilm.sk.
- The organizer reserves the right to subtitle or dub selected film entries to be presented within the festival, festival previews and other non commercial events.
- The person submitting the film to the Contest declares that he or she is a holder of proprietary copyright to submitted films and that this submission does not violate property rights of other parties or personal copyright of the author or authors of a given film. The Organizer shall not be held liable for possible violations of right resulting from unauthorized submission of a film to the Contest.
III. Requirements for submitted entries
- All entries must be submitted either on DVD. DVDs must be in PAL or NTSC format without coding in order to be used for translating purposes.
- Each submitted entry must be on separate media, labeled with the name of the entry, the length in minutes and seconds, and language.
- Each submitted entry shall be presented on separate medium (CD) with the final script (or dialogue list, audio transcription in word or rtf format) with time-code in English, German or Spanish language. Provided these conditions are not met the organizer shall reject such entry to enter the Contest.
- Provided that the film entries is not in any of the above mentioned languages (see Point 3.), they must be equipped with English subtitles and the applicant shall send these in text format together with time-code via email.
- Each entry selected to the international Contest shall be additionally provided with pictures from the film (format jpg or tiff), promotion material, short biography, filmography of the film author and trailer.
- The aforementioned materials shall be the property of the festival’s archive and shall be used for the film promotion, for the festival’s catalogue, for its website, in any other festival activities and press releases.
IV. International Contest
- The Selection Commission, consisting of filmmakers and professionals from respective fields, shall determine which entries are accepted into the international Contest.
- The Selection Commission is authorized to reject any entry that does not meet the required technical standards, quality and compliance with the statute and the festival idea.
- Entries selected for the international Contest shall be evaluated by an International Jury. Its chairman and members are nominated by the festival director general.
- The films entered into the Contest must deal with sustainable development, and are evaluated in the following categories (suggested maximum entry length is given in the brackets):
- Popular - scientific – Science, Technology and Eco Solutions (60 Minutes) – films about new trends, technologies, materials, new progressive problem solutions( in industrial production, transport, energy, construction, chemistry, machinery, metallurgy, urban planning, architecture, health care, agriculture, forestry, water and waste management, recycling etc.).
- Nature and Natural Science (60 Minutes) – films about natural events and human activities, and how they impact the people, wildlife, and vegetation in the environment.
- People and Earth/Ecological Success Stories (60 Minutes) – films about individuals (or groups) who have had significant impact on environment protection and eco solutions. Films that describe projects that have improved local environments have global applicability. They search for new ways of better man-nature relationship.
- Current Affairs (60 Minutes) – burning ecological issues and their impact on the environment and culture.
- New Media (Less than 10 Minutes) – ecology issues presented in a form of video clips short features, promotions, advertisements, podcasts for phones and media players, and streaming video for online delivery.
- Children and Youth (30 Minutes) – films for school age children, those focus on environmental education (recycling, endangered species, endangered environments etc.).
- The International Jury is entitled to select the following awards:
The International Jury has the right to recommend entries for prizes awarded by official partners, professional guarantors, co-organizers and sponsors.All prizes shall award to the applicant of the entry.
- Grand Prix of ekotopfilm 2012
- Prize of the President of the Slovak Republic
- Six main prizes for each respective category
- Prize of the International Jury
- Prize of the Festival President
- and other prizes and honor acknowledgements.
V. Personal Participation
- Entry form for personal participation (filled in on-line) shall be sent no later than September 15, 2012. Participants are provided accommodation by the binding entry form no later than September 15, 2012. All costs regarding the stay are covered by the participants having the discount of the organizer at partner accommodation facilities - hotel Tatra, hotel Esprit, Apartments & Garni Hotel IVICA and Apartment City.
- Participants will get all festival information at their arrival.
VI. Final Provisions
- A signed and completely filled in the entry form (sent on-line and by post) represents the entrant’s consent with all provisions of the statute.
- The Slovak text of the statute is binding.
- The organizer of the festival shall have final determination on any issue enclosed in the statute or exceptions to the statute.
Requests for information, entry forms and personal participation forms could be sent also to the following address:
Zadunajská cesta 12,
851 01 Bratislava, Slovakia
tel./fax: +421 2 6353 0333, +421 2 6353 0336